How to reach ELSA
The ELSA is located in Ispra, Northern Italy.
Ispra is a village situated on the East shore of Lago
Maggiore, in the Province of Varese (Lombardy). It has approximately
5000 inhabitants. Ispra is some 60 km NW of Milan.
More information can be found on the web sites of the Province of Varese
and the Municipality of Ispra.
Arrival by air
Milan has two international airports:
Malpensa: the distance between Malpensa Airport and JRC is 25 km (around
30 minutes car ride). A taxi from Malpensa to the JRC would normally cost
around euro 45 (one way).
Linate: the distance between Linate and JRC is 85 km (around 1:15h
Arrival by car
The GPS coordinates of the JRC are : N 45.80335 E 8.62960
- On the motorway, follow signs for Autostrada Laghi (A8) direction Gravellona Toce and Gallarate.
- Take exit at Sesto Calende/ Vergiate.
- Travel on SS 629 towards Laveno - Luino.
- On SS 629, turn left at the traffic light (after 7 km) in Travedona-Monate
- Follow the signs CCR ISPRA towards Cadrezzate and Ispra. The road will take you right to the JRC-Ispra entrance.
- Arriving from San Gottardo or San Benardino (CH), follow the A2 to the Italian border.
- Continue into Italy on the A9.
- After Saronno turn north on the A8 direction Gallarate and Sesto Calende.
- When you are on the A8 follow the description as arriving from Milan (from point 2)